Nestled in the foothills Orobie and surrounded by the green terraces of the Venetian walls dating back to the late sixteenth century, the upper town is a real jewel of art and culture in a giant green basin, an open-air museum to be experienced between art, culture and nature.
Heart of Bergamo and starting point for exploring the beauty of the medieval city, at the center of the square Fontana Contarini donated in 1780 Podesta Venetian Alvise Contarini before leaving the city.
PALACE OF REASON
considered one of the oldest municipal buildings Lombard (XII century) It is characterized by Renaissance elements, the lion of St. Mark and a single large hall called “trusses”.
PALAZZO DEL PODESTÀ’
originally the residence of the family Suardi and Colleoni, the beginning of the twelfth century until the first half of the fifteenth century it was the mayor of Bergamo. Thanks to restoration work came to light important historical, from underground were found remains and structures from Roman times. From 2012 It is home to the Historical Museum of the Age Veneta, the ‘500 interactive.
TORRE DEL Gombita
Located at the intersection of two main streets of the Upper Town, via San Lorenzo – Mario Lupo via e Gombito, meets the Torre del Gombito, panoramic terrace offering striking views of the city, It was built in the twelfth century, today it houses the tourist office.
Monumental heart of Bergamo high, Piazza del Duomo in a few meters shows the splendor of this sacred city. The Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore is the most important monument of the city in terms of historical and artistic. Built from 1137 It presents an exquisite Romanesque facade and preserves Gothic frescoes. The Cappella Colleoni monumental mausoleum of the famous leader Bartolomeo Colleoni Bergamo where he rests with his daughter Medea. Fù designed in 1472 by Giovanni Antonio Amadeo commissioned the same Colleoni.
THE CITADEL AND MUSEUMS CIVIC
The Citadel Visconti It is what remains of the fortification that Visconti had built as the main witness of their domain from Bergamo 1332 It is up to 1428.
HISTORICAL MUSEUM OF BERGAMO
The fortress, imposing fortress of the XIV century surrounded by the Park of Remembrance, hosts Historical Museum of Bergamo.
Authentic jewelry designed by Leopoldo Pollak famous for the construction of the Villa Reale in Monza and the Arch of Peace in Milan, It was inaugurated in 1808.
THE VENETIAN WALLS
The walls around long 6 km, which surrounds the upper town was built between 1561 and the 1588 with the demolition of an entire village and a monastery. Along the wall were placed four ports each of which corresponded to the main routes of communication with the outside.
COLLE SAN VIGILIO
With the funicular to the upper town is reached San Vigilio about 500 mt. slm, Here is the Castle of San Vigilio built in the twelfth century has always been a defensive structure to the hill town Orobica, strategic gateways to the city of Bergamo.